Blog #2

 

Victoria Garcia Group 3 


Before starting this project, I honestly did not think much about what it meant to be a changemaker. I knew the term referred to people who had made a difference in society, but I usually pictured famous historical figures who had their names in textbooks. I never really thought about what motivated those people or how much effort it took to create change. After researching my topic and listening to my classmates' presentations, I realized that changemakers come from many different backgrounds and can make an impact in many different ways. This project helped me understand that creating positive change is not always about being famous or receiving recognition. Sometimes it is simply about helping others and being committed to making a difference.

One thing that stood out to me throughout the project was how much determination it takes to create lasting change. Many of the people we learned about faced obstacles, criticism, or setbacks during their journeys. It would have been easy for them to give up, but they continued working toward their goals because they believed they were making a difference. Their stories reminded me that success does not usually happen overnight. Instead, it often requires patience, hard work, and persistence. This is a lesson that I think applies not only to changemakers but also to students and anyone trying to achieve their goals.

For my presentation, I researched Melinda Gates. Before working on this project, I knew who she was, but I did not know much about her accomplishments. I mainly recognized her name because of her connection to Microsoft and the Gates Foundation. As I started researching her life and work, I quickly realized that there was much more to her story than I originally thought. Learning about her gave me a better understanding of how philanthropy can improve the lives of people around the world.

What I found most interesting about Melinda Gates was her dedication to helping others. A large part of her work focuses on improving healthcare, expanding educational opportunities, and supporting women and families. As I learned more about these efforts, I realized that her impact reaches far beyond what many people see in the news. She has worked on issues that affect millions of people, and her efforts have helped create opportunities for individuals who may not have had access to them otherwise.

Another thing that impressed me was how she uses her platform to raise awareness about important issues. It would be easy for someone with her resources and influence to focus only on personal success, but instead she has dedicated a significant portion of her life to helping others. That made me think about the different ways people can use their skills, resources, and opportunities to make a positive impact. Not everyone has the same abilities or circumstances, but everyone can contribute something.

Researching Melinda Gates also taught me about the importance of collaboration. Many of the problems she works on are complex and cannot be solved by one person alone. Her work involves partnerships with organizations, communities, researchers, and leaders from around the world. This showed me that meaningful change often happens when people work together. Sometimes we think of changemakers as individuals working on their own, but this project reminded me that teamwork is often a major part of solving problems and improving lives.

Listening to my classmates' presentations was another valuable part of this assignment. I enjoyed learning about a variety of people from different time periods and backgrounds. Every presentation offered a unique perspective on what it means to create change. Some people focused on social issues, while others concentrated on education, science, healthcare, or community service. Even though their goals and experiences were different, I noticed several qualities that many of them shared. They were determined, resilient, and willing to work hard for something they believed in.

One thing I found interesting was how different the challenges were depending on the time period. Some changemakers faced problems that were specific to their era, while others addressed issues that are still relevant today. This helped me understand how society changes over time and how each generation faces its own challenges. At the same time, it also showed me that many of the qualities needed to create change remain the same. Courage, perseverance, and a willingness to help others seem to be important no matter when someone lives.

This project also made me think differently about leadership. Before, I thought leadership mostly involved holding a position of authority or being in charge of a group. After learning about these changemakers, I realized that leadership can take many forms. Someone can be a leader by helping others, speaking up about important issues, creating opportunities, or simply setting a positive example. Leadership is not always about being the loudest person in the room. Sometimes it is about consistently working toward a goal and inspiring others through actions rather than words.

Another lesson I learned is that making a difference does not always require doing something huge. Sometimes we assume that changing the world means solving massive problems or becoming famous. However, this project showed me that positive change can start with small actions. Helping one person, supporting a cause, volunteering in a community, or sharing knowledge can all have meaningful effects. Small actions can add up over time and eventually create larger changes.

I also appreciated how this project encouraged me to learn about someone I probably would not have researched on my own. It pushed me to go beyond basic information and really explore the impact one person can have. As I worked on my presentation, I found myself becoming more interested in the topic and more aware of the challenges people face around the world. It reminded me that learning is not just about completing assignments but also about gaining new perspectives.

Overall, I learned a lot from this project. Researching Melinda Gates and listening to my classmates' presentations helped me develop a better understanding of what it means to be a changemaker. I learned that there is no single path to creating change and that people can make a difference in many different ways. Whether through philanthropy, education, healthcare, advocacy, or community involvement, positive change often begins with a desire to help others.

The biggest lesson I will take away from this experience is that anyone has the potential to make a difference. You do not need to be famous, wealthy, or hold an important title to have a positive impact. What matters most is being willing to take action and help others when you can. This project encouraged me to think about how I can contribute to my own community and how even small efforts can make a meaningful difference. It also reminded me that creating change starts with caring about others and being willing to do something about the challenges people face. That is a lesson I will continue to remember long after this assignment is finished.




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog post#2

Blog post #1