Blog 2

Hello everyone my name is Takiya Mckellar and I will be telling you about my experience in our Change Makers presentation. Throughout this project, the class explored influential individuals from different time periods, including the 1800s, 1900s, and 2000s. My group focused on the 2000s, and I presented on Barack Obama. Preparing for and presenting this project allowed me to learn more about the impact that influential leaders can have on society and how determination, leadership, and perseverance can inspire change. It was also a great opportunity to listen to my classmates and learn about other important figures who have made significant contributions throughout history. 

 For my portion of the presentation, I discussed Barack Obama and how his leadership, achievements, and determination made a lasting impact on the world. I explained his political career and highlighted some of the accomplishments he made while serving as the 44th President of the United States. I also discussed his legacy, the influence he continues to have today, and why he is considered an important figure in American history. While researching Obama, I learned that his journey to the presidency was not always easy. He faced challenges throughout his career, yet he remained focused on his goals and continued working toward positive change. Learning about his determination helped me better understand why so many people view him as a change maker. 
One thing I found interesting about Barack Obama was his ability to inspire people through his leadership and communication skills. He encouraged citizens to become involved in their communities and to believe that change was possible through participation and unity. Although my presentation did not go into every detail of his presidency, it was clear that his influence extended beyond politics. His story demonstrates how hard work, education, and persistence can help someone overcome obstacles and achieve success. As I presented, I felt confident sharing what I had learned because I understood why his contributions were important to modern history. 
 Working on this project also helped me strengthen several skills that are important for college students. Researching information required me to evaluate sources carefully and organize the information in a way that was easy for others to understand. Preparing for the presentation also helped me improve my communication skills. Public speaking can sometimes be challenging, but practicing beforehand helped me feel more comfortable. I learned the importance of speaking clearly, maintaining eye contact, and presenting information in a way that keeps the audience engaged. These are skills that will continue to benefit me throughout my academic and professional career. 
Another aspect of the project that I enjoyed was seeing how each group approached their presentations. Since the class was divided into groups covering different centuries, there was a wide variety of change makers discussed. This made the presentations more interesting because we were able to see how individuals from different time periods influenced society in unique ways. Some change makers focused on civil rights, others on entertainment, politics, education, or social justice. Despite their different backgrounds and accomplishments, they all shared a common goal of making a positive impact on the world.

I believe everyone did a great job presenting. It was evident that each group spent time researching their topics and preparing their presentations. Many students spoke confidently and demonstrated a strong understanding of their chosen change makers. I appreciated how different presentations highlighted the challenges these individuals faced and the ways they overcame them. Listening to my classmates reminded me that meaningful change often requires courage, determination, and a willingness to stand up for what is right.


Although all of the presentations were informative, two change makers stood out to me the most was Ruby Bridges and Michael Jackson. Their stories captured my attention because of the impact they had on society and the obstacles they faced throughout their lives.

Ruby Bridges stood out to me because of her bravery at such a young age. Learning about her experiences helped me appreciate the sacrifices made by individuals who fought for equality and civil rights. As a child, she demonstrated incredible courage by becoming one of the first African American students to integrate an all white elementary school. Despite facing hostility and discrimination, she continued attending school and remained determined to receive an education. Her story reminded me that change often begins with individuals who are willing to challenge unfair systems. What impressed me most was that she made such a significant impact while still being a young child. Her actions contributed to broader efforts for equality and helped create opportunities for future generation's.
 Michael Jackson also stood out to me because of his influence on music, entertainment, and popular culture. Before this presentation, I already knew that he was one of the most famous entertainers in history, but I learned even more about the ways he transformed the music industry. His creativity, talent, and dedication allowed him to break records and reach audiences all around the world. Beyond his musical achievements, I was interested in learning about the influence he had on dance, fashion, and performance styles. His ability to connect with people through music showed how artists can create positive change and inspire others through their work. Even years after his passing, his music and legacy continue to influence new generations of performers and fans.

I found this assignment valuable because it connected historical and contemporary figures to lessons that are still relevant today. It encouraged me to think critically about leadership, social change, and the impact that one person can have on society. It also reminded me that history is not just about memorizing facts and dates. Instead, it is about understanding the experiences of people who helped shape the world we live in today.


Overall, I really enjoyed participating in the Change Makers presentation. Presenting on Barack Obama allowed me to learn more about leadership, determination, and the importance of public service. At the same time, listening to my classmates introduced me to other inspiring individuals from different periods in history. I thought everyone did an excellent job presenting their research and sharing important information with the class. While all of the presentations were meaningful, Ruby Bridges and Michael Jackson stood out to me the most because of their lasting influence and the unique ways they contributed to society. This project expanded my knowledge, strengthened my presentation skills, and gave me a greater appreciation for the people who have worked to create positive change in the world. It is an experience that I will remember because it showed me that change can come from many different places and that one person’s actions can leave a lasting impact for generations to come.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog post#2

Blog post #1